Sunday, November 27, 2011

Five days backwards

For the last 6 days I have not had access to the internet.  Given that our society relies on internet much like we do air or water, it took awhile to adjust.  I kept my memories and experiences locked in a tight vault, hoping that they would surface again.  Surface like a wave that takes me from complacency to action. 
Now I am challenged with going backwards 5 days and reliving the incredible, and sometimes surreal experiences that entered my reality, and some that will never leave my heart.
On Sunday we arrived in San Rafael del Sur to begin our journey with the family who had anticipated our arrival for a very long time.  We boarded the bus and headed to La Gallina where our building would begin.  We met our first family and were invited into their home.  Their home.  This was not a house.  Having seen abject poverty in El Salvador for my 2010 build, I thought myself prepared for what I was to witness.  I was not prepared.  I was assaulted again by the disparity that exists in our world.  My throat closed, and my heart ached as I was shown around the 10x20 area.  Dirt floors, tin walls, no furniture, no water, no beds....it was surreal. The most emotional moment came when Morgan quickly left the home, and headed away from the group.  She could not contain her pain, and the tears flowed. Even the most experienced builders and strong members of the team were affected by her reaction.  It was a moment that we will all remember.  It was a moment that will resonate with her, and will always remain with me.
The next home was my build.  The family consisted of Rosa, Rafael, Fernando (9), Franci (7) and Flaviola (5).  They will remain with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment